This patch enables the user to toggle (un-)muting of the Master device by simply middle-clicking on the icon in the docker.
After applying this patch the standard behavior of KMix is activated (middle click opens mixer window).
You can then go to the Preferences in the mixer window and toggle the new checkbox (see screenshot).
Now you can toggle muting with the middle mouse button.
The checkbox text is currently only available in english.
This patch works for KMix as packaged in KDE versions 3.5.4 and 3.5.6.
I have not tested it with 3.5.5 but it should work there, too.
If you think this is useful then please go to
and vote for the bug report.
Some (basic) install instructions:
1. Download the patch file somewhere
2. Download the kdemultimedia source and extract it
3. cd to .../kdemultimedia/kmix
4. Do: cat .../kmix-dock-icon-toggles-muting.diff | patch
5. Do: ./configure && make (you may need to specify some parameters for ./configure depending on your environment)
6. Run kmix from the ./.libs subdirectory or install it with: make install